About the Header Photograph

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Microsoft Snipping Tool

  

After I have read through a lesson I like to ponder it for awhile.  This one reminds me of the old days when if you saw something noteworthy you would just have to hand copy it.  Remember?  If you were researching something from books in a library you'd have to take copious notes and it moved like a glacier.  Now snip it  (or clip it in Evernote if you are an Apple lover or don't have Windows 7) and you have it at your disposal in seconds.  This is what I truly love about technology.  The options are never-ending and plentiful if we will just take the time to learn things like this the sky is the limit.  The possibilities really boggle the mind and keep things exciting.



The Snipping Tool is a screen capture application that is included in Window 7.  Since all of our computers at the Library have been upgraded to Windows 7 this seems like it would be a very useful tool.  With it you can either do screen shots or snip just a portion of anything on the screen.

Then you can save the snip to your flash drive as a .jpg or to your documents folder or you can even include it in an email. (I like to email things to myself from the library sometimes and then file it at home in my electronic files on my desktop computer.) You can also annotate the image.  This could be very helpful to a genealogist if you are unable to view it on a website's image viewer or you just need a little clip for something from a newspaper or online article.

So where do we find this little magic application on Windows 7? To find the Snipping Tool on the OFSL computers click on the Start button.  The Snipping Tool is on the menu list, simply select it to open it on the Desk Top.  The pair of scissors and oval above is the icon.

On other computers using Windows you can go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>Snipping Tool if you do not see see it by clicking on Start and don't find it in the menu list.

You can even pin the icon for the Snipping Tool to the task bar by right clicking on it. I would imagine this will only be good for a session at the Library as everything added iby patrons is removed at day's end.  But it would remain on the taskbar on your own computer.  I will check on that tomorrow when I get to work.  Mac here.

To learn how to use this nifty little treasure you will need to read and follow the instructions on the lesson materials.  They are excellent.  The lesson is found in the Dropbox link below.


Muir Woods Creek from a bridge,
the other day with our kids.  
It was so gorgeous and peaceful.
Just wanted to add in a little color.  
Too much black and white on this page!

Here is another idea for learning these techie things if you are a multi-sensory learner.  Try a YouTube tutorial!  I looked this up on Youtube by just entering Microsoft Snipping Tool and it was great.  I scrolled down to one that was a tutorial that lasted only 1:58 seconds.  In it I was able to see and hear exactly how to use it.  Seeing it and hearing someone explain it made it so easy.  Especially after going over the lesson that was prepared for us.  I love YouTube for all kinds of learning.  I bet you cannot think of too many things you'd like to learn to do that are not on there just waiting for you to take a couple of minutes to investigate. 



From Bonnie:

"Web Snipping Tool-Staff Training-Lesson 8"

Click here to view

(Bonnie shared these files using Dropbox. Enjoy!)






© 2013 Dropbox

No comments:

Post a Comment