About the Header Photograph

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Adding Photos to Family Search or Not?


Truth be told, I just wanted to share these cute photos of our oldest granddaughters, Piper and Julia.  It got me thinking about whether or not one should put photos of the living on Family Search.  I wondered since the information you add for the living can only be seen by you on your own tree, would the same be true for your photos? 

I love that secret language
 between sisters captured here

I couldn't find anything about this on the site, so I decided to call the help center.  1-866-406-1830.  After some deeper digging in their user guides... paraphrasing...this was the answer.  At this time you may not add living people to the database of family photos but this option will eventually become available.

Some of the things they have told us is that there is no limit on the number of photos you can add.  I think that I will however, limit my photo uploading to no more than three photos of an individual if I have them.  I was thinking like a childhood photo, marriage photo and an old age or perhaps a family photo with children.  It seems that anyone seeing those pictures that would want more or something very specific could just contact me individually to get more if I have them.   

The reason I think this is that there are so many other places to keep family photos that will not encumber a huge public site.  Like a blog for instance, or online scrapbooking.  But what about you, what is your take on it?  This is a fun thing because it is new and we are pioneering it.  FS has given us lots of latitude and options for our deceased family members.  Right now I wish I had even one picture for most of the people on my branches, don't you?

I decided to add a photo here for each one of our five granddaughters since here I can.  This is Anyslee, she is the only daughter of our son, Chris, who also has three boys.

Ayns

Jennifer, our oldest daughter has four girls
 and the top two are the big sisters
here and here are the little sisters.

Chloe Jane

 Miss Hazie

For me the important thing about photos is that we do something with at least some of them.  We all have so many digital photos now and most seem to remain tucked away on photo cards, flash drives or on the computer.  It is fun to take some out and put them someplace like a blog, blog book, scrapbook or Family Search (for deceased family) so that they can be viewed and enjoyed easily.  There is nothing like a photo to tell a little story. 

In some circles there is a tiny, little struggle emerging between the some of the purest research genealogists and the family historians that enjoys the photos and stories.  I think it is of utmost important to recognize that the research is still the primary thing but embellishing it with stories and photos is fantastic.  Utility and a firm foundation that is accessorized with added beauty is a great thing.  {Ask any interior designer! ;-)}

 It doesn't have to be an either or scenario.  Everyone will find their own way on this journey of leaving a legacy and the beauty of it is that others can add to it. It also doesn't hurt to add here that broadening it does not dilute it.  Not if we keep the discipline of searching and researching our families for the best accuracy we can attain along the way and get our sourcing done.  What a priceless gift to leave and a great way to be anxiously engaged in a good cause.  Carry on...researching, taking photos and writing your story.  If not you...then who?

No comments:

Post a Comment