Technology is moving so quickly as we all know. For most of us over 50 there is a struggle to keep up with it all. I don't know how interested I'd be in Hashtags if we didn't have kids and grandkids that do keep up. So as a result I we want to keep up with them, we need to learn it.
Jim pointed out today that working in the library we should also be aware of what hashtags are and how they are used in social media.
Social Media sites are a great place to keep our family history, to learn family history and to share photos and stories with others.
As an example, Facebook had thousands of user groups about genealogy, localities, and surnames. It is a great place to find relatives that are also Facebook users. Pinterest and Twitter are also fantastic sources for what we do. Instagram is another one that is great for sharing family history and photos.
All of them use hashtags. The caveat is the hashtag rules are different for them all. They differ in purpose. Even General Conference for the Church uses Twitter. You can follow it during conference at #genconf . Next time you are watching General conference take not of the hashtag right in the screen down in the lower left corner of the scree. People give commentary on things they like, etc.
#Rootstech did the same thing at that big conference.
They post all kinds of messages relevant to the conference like room changes, etc. You are out of the loop without access.
Ahh...Social Media! That stuff is coming at us from every angle now if we connect with people other than through email. We have to self educate ourselves to survive in this techie world.
Again if you have a younger family they don't really use email much. When I send something via email I have to send them a text alert to even check their email!
So hashtags. Here is a link to the article I found on Thomas Mac Entee's blog this morning.
https://blog.hootsuite.com/how-to-use-hashtags/
A previous post I did on Instagram and hashtags:
http://alegacythatmatters.blogspot.com/2016/01/using-instagram-for-your-family-history.html
A previous post I did on Instagram and hashtags:
http://alegacythatmatters.blogspot.com/2016/01/using-instagram-for-your-family-history.html

No comments:
Post a Comment