About the Header Photograph

Monday, December 22, 2014

Christmas Gifts of Family History

I am so far behind this year but I figure I am not alone.  I have decided to go with the flow.  Christmas is coming in for a landing quite soon, ready or not.  FS Blog writer, Bill Davidson has some fun and inexpensive ideas  for gifts.  Check it out.  Thanks, Bill!  Now I am dashing back to my Christmas blog with a self imposed deadline of midnight tonight.  I'll post it here when I am done!


Name Cloud
Some of my favorite Christmas gifts to both give and receive are family history gifts! I like them for several reasons. First, they can be very affordable and since I’m frugal (some might say I’m cheap) this is great for me. In addition to being affordable, they help children and other family members develop a greater appreciating for their ancestors.
Two simple family history Christmas gifts that are easy to create are seven and nine-generation fan charts and name clouds. They can be printed as color photos at a local copy center and then mounted on foam core or they can be placed in a picture frame.
You can create seven-generation fan charts at FamilySearch.org or use apps that have been developed by FamilySearch partners. You can create nine-generation color fan charts using apps at TreeSeek.com. Remember to put the name of the person who is getting the gift at the center of the chart. With their permission and help, you can make these gifts for friends, relatives, home and visit teaching families.
Name clouds are an interesting gift as well. TreeSeek.com offers an app that takes thousands of names from your family tree and puts them into a name cloud, with the most common family names in larger fonts and less common names in smaller fonts. When displayed in your home, it becomes a great conversation piece as guests and visitors search your cloud for their names. Name clouds can be created with only first names, only last names or a combination of both.
Christmas is a time for families. It’s also a wonderful time to give family history gifts to everyone we love.

No comments:

Post a Comment