About the Header Photograph

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

"You Have To Put Your Hands On It"


Last week was the first new lesson under the new staff training program in our Library!  I for one was really delighted with Kim's lesson and how much I learned. I have yet to have had a minute to look at the bulletin board she created but it looks fantastic as well.   I am sure all of us felt the same abut her lesson.  I love it when we can all share and teach each other and all move forward in our learning.  So thank you to both Kim and Linda for what they are planning for us in the future as well.

Last week I had very little time to work on the assignment as I was working with patrons most of the day and evening until 8:30.  So I missed a lot of the synergy going on among all of you as you collaborated together on answering the questions.  So yesterday I tried plowing through it on my own and then Jim has been helping with it since then.  Bob spent a lot of time creating a spread sheet for all of us to have and use in the future.  It is really a good one.  Again group teaching.  It is the best.  And one thing I re-learned for sure is that You have to put your hands on this to learn it.  Not surprising, that is just the way most things are.  Someone can tell you about it but until you try it yourself your don't really learn it.  The test is can you teach someone else to do it? As Stephen Covey said, that is when you own it.  When you just hear about something and don't follow through with the practical application you only know about something but you do not know it.  Learning something is a verb.  It requires action.



*On another note, I saw in the handout that Kim referenced Mark Lowe's form and also an article on "Who Is This Tick Mark? Using the Pre-1850 census Records."  I googled that and found a video by Mark Lowe on YouTube.  Perfect, right?  Not exactly.  i discovered that one reason I cannot find a lot of things on Ancestry anymore is that they are add-ons to the free account.  The Ancestry Academy is one of those things.  $11.99 per month if you want the courses and classes.

I was able to access a free Crista Cowan video that was great so I'll give you that link below. It is a 15 minute video and helpful in discerning what the tick marks mean and where you can go from there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z8gDMU8Nkk

Happy Hunting!  Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment