Photo from the Website created by Bob Taylor and Bob Ives
My trip to the BYU Family History and Genealogy Conference was really informative and I am so glad I went this year. The thing about any conference is there is always something to learn. It also gives you a perfect opportunity to recognize what you don't know.
In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints we like to refer to learning "line upon line." That is another way of saying we learn sequentially. We add upon what we already know. It works best if that is done purposefully as opposed to just randomly. Sequenced or structured learning has been around forever. Isn't it how we learn just about everything when you think about it? See: Wikipedia Sequence Learning
The Family History Guide is just that!
A way to learn and do the work with
a vision of where you are going.
One of the highlights for me at the conference was to meet the developers of the new FS App The Family History Guide found at www.thefhguide.com. Bob Taylor and Bob Ives have commenced in a great work and it's impressive. It is a game changer for teachers and trainers and people eager to progress in their understanding of genealogy and family history. Think of it almost as a work book. The key word there is work. You will get out of this website exactly what you put into it.
This Guide is absolutely amazing for anyone who does Family History and tries to share it with others. I plan to use it with all the Family History consultants I teach, as well as the youth, and patrons at the Library.
I really like the way that it is set up to help someone progress in their learning incrementally and in an organized manner via Projects, Goals with the Capability To Track Progress.
Last week we talked about using the Source Box in Family Search to create links to help others while teaching them. I still plan to use that tool for someone who needs a very specific link for something they are trying to do. However I will also give them the link to The Family History Guide...every time I work with a patron or student from now on.
I really like the way that it is set up to help someone progress in their learning incrementally and in an organized manner via Projects, Goals with the Capability To Track Progress.
Last week we talked about using the Source Box in Family Search to create links to help others while teaching them. I still plan to use that tool for someone who needs a very specific link for something they are trying to do. However I will also give them the link to The Family History Guide...every time I work with a patron or student from now on.
After I learned of it I really took the opportunity to look over the website. It draws information from many sources and uses multi-media applications to teach the lessons. You have access to training and tips from FamilySearch, Ancestry, Find My Past and My Heritage, and more. They use over 1000 videos links, white paper lessons links and lots of other very helpful links as well. This site is not static. It will continue to evolve and be updated all the time.
I urge you to check it out. Spend some time there. Set some goals for yourself and help others do the same. This site is completely accessible on your mobile devices without even requiring a mobile app. This site is also free.
The lesson link below is very helpful. Linda has done a great job. Please use it to get familiar with this wonderful Family History Guide. Please give us feedback on what you think of it and how you plan to use it. Thanks! B
I urge you to check it out. Spend some time there. Set some goals for yourself and help others do the same. This site is completely accessible on your mobile devices without even requiring a mobile app. This site is also free.
The lesson link below is very helpful. Linda has done a great job. Please use it to get familiar with this wonderful Family History Guide. Please give us feedback on what you think of it and how you plan to use it. Thanks! B

Thanks, Bonnie - you are doing a great work at the Oakland FSL, and we're glad we can help in the cause.
ReplyDeleteBest wishes to you, Linda, and all who serve with you -
Bob Taylor
The Family History Guide