At Rootstech of course DNA was a hot topic. We haven't talked about DNA much here but we should. The lesson for this week is about an overview of the types of DNA testing that are done in the USA for genealogy purposes. A few years ago when our cousin was considering DNA testing. He would have needed to do an actual DNA test on actual bone of a deceased relative. You cannot imagine what that would have entailed and the cost was prohibitive Those types of DNA testa are not done in the USA I was surprised to learn. He would have had to call in a qualified person to come and retrieve the bone and take it to Italy for the testing.
So the way the test is done in the USA is a cheek swab or spitting into a tube. I was thinking the other day that I have my mom's hairbrush which I am sure has a couple of strands of hair in it. She died in 2003. I wondered if that could be used to test her DNA. The answer I learned is no. So normally when we discuss DNA with reference to genealogy testing we are talking about the testing of living people.
There are three different types of tests.
Y-DNA test is done only on males. The Y Chromosome is passed male to male from one generation to the next. Sometimes it remains completely unchanged for up to 8 generations before slight mutations may occur.
mtDNA or Mitochondrial DNA is passed on only by the females to the next generation but is passed on to all her children.
at-DNA-or Autosomal DNA. This tests your entire genome. You receive half of your DNA from your father and half from your mother.
Read the lesson and follow the links so that you can be prepared to explain the very basics to our patrons. The lesson includes who is offering these tests now. We should inform them but not recommend a specific company. The patron should investigate that in conjunction with their our particular needs. Each type of testing has merits for specific outcomes. See the lesson below.
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s209/sh/510f285f-a79d-44f2-8ab9-65ca75b59cfc/8ed27c92cf4935be5ae25e2eeb1450fc

No comments:
Post a Comment