The more I delve into our family history the more heroes I know in my life. I have a nice list of my heroes that are alive and kicking today and I am acquiring many more that are not.
Those that have gone before us have made huge sacrifices under very difficult and trying circumstances and did endure with success and dignity until the end of their lives. They forged the way for us, literally to have the comforts and good lives that we enjoy today.
When you get beyond the names and scrutinize the documents you begin to see the 3 dimensional qualities of their lives. Black and white transforms into brilliant color. And you cannot help but love them, respect them and want to be more like them. They are teaching us from their graves the things we long to know. The thing that we need to know. Just in our families we have so many heroes. You have them in yours as well.
In my husband's family there were some very brave and courageous people whose choices affected all of us. Alma Josefina Nilsdotter for one. She left her home in Sweden and emigrated to the United States at age 25. She stepped onto that ship and came alone. She left her mother, her brother and several little sisters behind. The last two twins, only three years old. Can you imagine what that would have taken knowing you might never be back? The reason for her departure, one less mouth for her mother to feed. Food was an issue in Sweden, or I should say the lack of it. When one reached a certain age they left to make their own way. Many came here. Without their courageous footstep onto the ship...we would not be here today. That is a profound thought isn't it?
I think I should make this title into a series. There are that many that have made the right choices and a lot of time in deference to what would have been much more comfortable and easy for them.
Their fortitude and courage helps me push forward in my own life when things seem beyond my reach. We should hold these ancestors in reverence for all they have done for us.
Alma, I like your fanciness!


No comments:
Post a Comment