I explored the page and found it has some great things that are kept current regarding the Oakland Library Events including that the library will be closed on Saturday, April 6, 2013 for General Conference, the classes coming up, and a lot of other things specific to the OFSL.
Family Search ( familysearch.org ) never ceases to amaze me with its wealth of information.
You just never know unless you take the time to look.
familysearch.org photo
Some of the materials we can access through Athena for our area are books, microfilms and microfiche, CD ROM, Map, and Networked (a file on the computers in the libraries only) The search will tell you which library has what you are seeking. ** One thing to remember is that you cannot access the online web address for Athena inside the library. You must go through the Desktop icon "Oakland" for the library edition.
Look at the excellent tutorial that Linda has done for us using the search features of Athena in the lesson links below. It is advisable to use the "advanced search." There is some explanation of the Boolean search perimeters, "and" "or" and "not" for filtering your search and some examples of standardized word search phrases that will be very helpful.
It seems that the Athena Catalog is something we need to add to our list of resources for our patrons and help them become aware of it and some of the basics. Then we can teach them to fish and let them go to work doing some research on their own. Once they are aware and given a little training, it just becomes a matter of practice for all of us. Our intent should be to help them help themselves so they can continue using this resource at home. The nature of the challenge will not change but our ability to use it with ease is overcome in no other way then to learn, practice and then teach.
I love this, don't you?
******************************************************
This week I had some trouble with getting the Dropbox
links in the little colorful box for you.
I would like to blame the Dropbox Software but then was reminded....
This week I had some trouble with getting the Dropbox
links in the little colorful box for you.
I would like to blame the Dropbox Software but then was reminded....
Linda's lesson materials can be read, downloaded and or copied here if you are not able to attend the class this week or need it for future reference. Thank you, Linda, so much!
Lesson Link for Athena Worksheet: http://tinyurl.com/a4d555t
Here are some helpful hints on using Athena that I got from Our Assistant Director who has cataloged a lot of what is in Athena: These are the things I learned when I actually put my hands on it and asked an expert in person that was sitting right beside me. (So now I was not jsut learning visually but auditorally and tactally as well. Using more senses helps us remember so much better in most cases.
1. Always use the advanced search option. Quick search really limits your options and success.
2. When searching, Less is More. Using key words from the broadest category to the smallest. Example: Illinois Mortality 1870. Just put them on the first line of the advanced search box. Try different variation of the key words, add to or subtract words, Etc. And don't forget to see the list on Linda's handout that show broad categories that are common for certain types of records. If you want a birth, marriage or death record from California as an example: Search Vital Records California. (Not marriage records California.)
The cataloging is based on a library model so if you are looking for a book as an example, search by the author's last name not first and last.. From the worksheet you would look up Bailey not Fredrick Bailey.
3. Once you find a reference in the gray box, click on it.
4. When the reference page opens and you see more detailing, go to the tab that says Show Copies. By keeping your search on the default "select all indexed" in the drop down menu you will see where the copies are and what format they are in i.e., Book, Microfilm, Fiche, etc. AND where they are located with in the Bay Area FS Libraries.
Once I understood these few things I was able to find all the things on the worksheet quite nicely thanks to Linda, Marge and Debbi. You are all such great examples! I cannot emphasize enough how putting your hands on it makes all the difference.
Enjoy the journey...







No comments:
Post a Comment