About the Header Photograph

Sunday, January 20, 2013

A Million Dollar Promise

Pinterest

Dear Readers,

I am sorry I have been slacking on posting on this blog.  Sometimes blogging is like throwing things into the wind.  Without comments you just never know when anyone is reading, finding it worthwhile and helpful, or if it just goes into the great Internet abyss in the sky, never to be thought of again. If you read it and have questions or comments please take a minute and include them.  That way I'll know I am not talking to myself.  Thanks!

Yesterday I was asked to teach a 90 minute class for new and returning student of genealogy.  This class is a PowerPoint presentation I created several months ago to help people get an overview of what is happening in genealogy and family history these days.  I have been  given the opportunity to repeat this class several times for various groups and I have enjoyed doing it very much.

Yesterday they were expecting a certain number and almost twice as many came.  I was sad there was standing room only for some but it made me to happy to think that people are actually learning from my own struggles. When I first went to work in the  family history library I had to start from scratch. I had done quite a bit of family history years ago but of course so much had changed.  With all the digitized records, websites, technology and new ways of doing things it was so overwhelming. With that memory fresh in my mind I started this blog at the beginning of my journey.

This blog has been a sort of chronicle of the thoughts I had, some victories and some major challenges.  It also includes some technical things and some helps for doing various things.  You can read the posts by going to the side bar and looking at the first blog post in the last section of the archives for 2011.  {On blogs the most current post is on the home page so to read chronologically you have to read from oldest to newest.}

Yesterday as I stood teaching I had a bit of an out of body experience.  I realized if this old gal can learn this...we all can!  But what it takes is desire, diligence, tenacity and learning new skills.  I was so appreciative of all those who gave me positive feedback and encouragement in this endeavor to learn and share it.  That encouragement meant the world to me and motivates me to keep going and learning and teaching others in this wonderful work.

So with all that in mind I am going to give you the Million Dollar Promise.  If you are confused about family history and genealogy and want to learn more here is what you do.  I'll warn you up front it will cost you a few hours of studying.  Commit to working for an understanding and then...
 (drum roll......) 


If this is your first visit you will need to register. Just follow the prompts. This site is free they just like to keep track of who is visiting. If you are a church member you will need to have your membership # available.  You can get it from your temple recommend or from the ward clerk.

Then spend a minimum of one hour looking at the site.  Do not put any names in the search engine no matter how tempted you may be.  Instead explore the site and learn what is there and some tips on searching for your ancestors.  Go to the learn tab at the top of the home page and look around in there.

Click on everything you see and familiarize yourself with it.  Take a course or two from the second half of the page under the Getting Started section.  All you have to do is look in there to find something of interest. Next click on the help button at the upper right hand corner of every page you have a question about that you view on the site.  To return to the home page simply click on the tree icon in the upper left hand portion of the page you are on.  Magically you will go home. No big test or anything.

The promise is...you will learn everything you need to know and more from this one site about beginning your family history and genealogy.  The site is amazing.  One Stop Shopping~Big Box Store.  Of course all you need to know will not be yours in an hour.  But one visit will be enough to let you see what a miracle has occurred in family history in the past 14 years since the site launched in 1999. 

Of course there is much more out there in cyber space.  But for now...one thing at a time.  Baby Steps.  Family Search is The Place.  Do me a favor and let me know if you got your money's worth.  



Here is a big hint. 

"You have to touch it for it to touch you." Bonnie Mattson

 If you just think about it and don't physically do something you will never learn to do family history  Doing = Achieving.  Put your hands on it.

Incidentally one sweet student had come to my class before and returned for the second time.  She came up to tell me how much this blog has taught her and that alone has inspired me to keep going with it.  Thank you, Kay Bohne!  And then one of my favorite people and family history gurus, Marge Bell, asked me for the link tonight.  You both made my day.  I'm on it ladies! (And Gentlemen, of course!)  Next up...Family Search Wiki!

Happy Hunting,  Bonnie 




No comments:

Post a Comment